By Car

How To Guides

How to get here by car

Aspen is located in the Roaring Fork Valley in Pitkin County Colorado. We always recommend checking with the Colorado Department of Transportation ( when planning your road trip in Colorado as road conditions are regularly affected by our winter weather.

Personal Cars

From Denver

  • Aspen is 220 miles or approximately 3.5 hours via I-70 West to Glenwood Springs.
  • During summer months, however, another scenic route from Denver is I-70 West to -State Highway 91 South -through Leadville to US 24 South, then west onto SH 82 over Independence Pass. (The Pass is only open during warm-weather months, typically from just before Memorial Day in May to early November, weather permitting).
  • Please note:  vehicles or vehicle combinations (e.g. a truck and trailer) over 35 feet in length are not permitted over the narrow Independence Pass and oversize commercial vehicles are also NOT permitted. We recommend you look into road conditions and/or closures for either route you choose by calling the Colorado Department of Transportation's road information hotline at 511 from anywhere in the state, or going to For more information on Independence Pass, click here.  

From Grand Junction

  • Aspen is an easy 2.5-hour drive east on I-70 connecting with State Highway 82 in Glenwood Springs.

From Eagle/Vail

  • Aspen is about 70 miles or approximately 1 hour & 40 minutes traveling I-70 West to Glenwood Springs

Check out some recommended Scenic Drives we have put together if you are considering driving to visit us. 


Recreational Vehicles (RVs)

Some important things to know if you are bringing your rig to Aspen:

  • Trailers or motor homes over 35 feet in length are prohibited from traveling on Highway 82 over Independence Pass.
  • The City of Aspen prohibits visitors from sleeping in vehicles, including RVs.
  • Day parking for RVs can be found at Rio Grande Park in the carpool lot, or on Monarch Street.
  • There are several campgrounds in the area that can accommodate modestly sized RVs.
  • For more information, visit For more detailed information, call the Parking Control Department at 970.920.5267.
Book Your Trip

We use cookies on our website to support technical features that enhance your user experience.

We also use analytics & advertising services. To opt-out click for more information.