I-70 through Glenwood Canyon
Aspen is 220 miles, approximately 3.5 hours from Denver.
Travel via I-70 West to Glenwood Springs, then exit onto Highway 82 to Aspen.
During the summer months, enjoy a scenic route over Independence Pass.
From Denver take I-70 West to State Highway 91 South through Leadville to US 24 South, then west onto Highway 82 over Independence Pass.
- Independence Pass is only open during warm-weather months, typically from Memorial Day weekend in May to early November, weather permitting.
- Please note: vehicles or vehicle combinations (e.g. a truck and trailer) over 35 feet in length are not permitted over the narrow Independence Pass and oversize commercial vehicles are also NOT permitted.
- Independence Pass is safe for vehicles less than 35’ in length that are in excellent working condition with good tires and brakes, driven by competent drivers who are experienced with driving in the mountains and do not have a fear of heights. This route is not for everyone.
For more information on Independence Pass, click here.
From Grand Junction
Aspen is an easy 2.5-hour drive east on I-70 connecting with State Highway 82 in Glenwood Springs.
Aspen is about 70 miles or approximately 1 hour & 40 minutes traveling I-70 West to Glenwood Springs then onto Highway 82.
From Southwest Colorado (Delta, Montrose, Telluride, Durango)
Take US-550 which turns into US-50 West. Turn onto CO-92 at Delta. Turn onto CO-133 at Hotchkiss which continues over McClure Pass into Carbondale. Turn right on Highway 82 to Aspen.
Recreational Vehicles (RVs)
Important information to know if you are bringing your rig to Aspen:
We recommend you look into road conditions and/or road closures by calling the Colorado Department of Transportation's road information hotline at 511 from anywhere in the state, or going to www.cotrip.org.
- Trailers or motor homes over 35 feet in length are prohibited from traveling on Highway 82 over Independence Pass.
- The City of Aspen prohibits visitors from sleeping in vehicles, including RVs.
- Day parking for RVs can be found at Rio Grande Park in the carpool lot, or on Monarch Street.
- There are several campgrounds in the area that can accommodate modestly sized RVs.
- For more information, visit http://cityofaspen.com/314/Parking. For more detailed information, call the Parking Control Department at 970.920.5267.