1. Fly fishing in the foliage: Aspen is home to some of the best world class fly fishing year-round just outside of town in the Roaring Fork River’s Gold Medal waters—a coveted designation from the Colorado Wildlife Commission. Take advantage during the fall to emerge yourself in the golden and red hues while fishing on the Roaring Fork. Discover your next fly fishing adventure here.
2. IMBA Gold Level Mountain Biking: The Roaring Fork Valley reigns as one of America’s top mountain biking destinations and in early 2020, Aspen was declared a gold-level ride center by the International Mountain Biking Association. Soar through award-winning mountain bike trails in the height of picturesque fall colors from Snowmass to Aspen. Learn everything you need to know about Aspen's IMBA Gold Level status here. As an epicenter for cycling, Aspen bikers can also choose from the gently sloping Rio Grande Trail, a serene road ride up to the iconic Maroon Bells, a grueling ride up Independence Pass and more. Since fall in Aspen is still a bit of a secret, favorite trails and stretches are even less populated than summer. For bicycle rentals and trail recommendations contact local experts at Aspen Velo or Bike Butlers.
3. Trail Running: Although the annual Golden Leaf Marathon is postponed to 2021, you can still trail run the route individually, one of the most beautiful foot races in the Rockies. In the height of the picturesque fall colors of Colorado, reds, greens, and the famous gold’s of the Aspen Trees will guide runners on this challenging course from Snowmass to Aspen. See the full route online here.
4. Al Fresco Dining: Take in the cool, crisp mountain air as you dine out on one of Aspen's many outdoor patios. With a multitude of restaurants to choose from, even the most picky eater will find a dish suitable to their palette. During the fall, visitors can also find discounts and specials happening at our local restaurants. Watch this video to see how our local eateries are incorporating safety precautions in a COVID-19 world.
5. The colors: The gorgeous golden hues of the aspen trees surrounding the Aspen area are one of the biggest draws of the autumn season for visitors near and far. Combine the beauty of the season with the near empty biking and hiking trails, lodging specials, annual events, and autumn in Aspen might just be the perfect getaway for you! Make the most out of your fall trip to Aspen by completing our autumn bucket list.
Follow us on social @AspenCo and tag us in your Aspen Autumn Adventure!