Yes, it's possible to be mindful of your budget while visiting Aspen. Below is a list of activities that cost nothing, or close to it. The best things in life are free, aren't they?
- Music on the Mountain - Ride the Gondola to the top of Aspen mountain to hear free classical music on Saturdays and Sunday bluegrass music. Purchase of a gondola ticket is required, unless you hike to the top, then your ride down is free.
- Stroll through the Aspen Saturday Market, from June to October, and see what our local farmers, artists, and vendors have to offer.
- The Aspen area has over 59 hiking trails to suit all levels. Don't forget your water and sunscreen!
- Boo! - Visit one of Aspen's Ghost Towns. Walk through the ghost town of Ashcroft located at the end of Castle Creek Road or stop at the Independence Ghost Town while you are driving into town. Both ghost towns are located along scenic drives.
- Aspen boasts one of the finest contemporary art museums in the region, the Aspen Art Museum. Thanks to a generous donor, you can visit for free.
- Pack a picnic and choose your spot! Hike to the top of Smuggler and eat your lunch while enjoying the view of Aspen, or drive out to the Grottos, Aspen's Ice Caves, and pick a boulder to enjoy your lunch on.
- Stroll through the lobby of the historic Hotel Jerome that has been in business for over a hundred years. During Prohibition, a celebrated spiked drink, the Aspen Crud, was invented at its J-Bar.