Curious about consuming? In order to safely enjoy the experience, there are some things to know.
First of all, this is not your grandpa’s weed. Over the years, the THC level has gotten stronger than what was available in the 60s and 70s.
Before choosing what Marijuana to buy, decide what kind of experience you want to have. Your first decision will be between Indica and Sativa, or a Hybrid for something in between.
Ways to Consume
Sure you can still roll a joint (or now even buy a pre-rolled joint!) or take hits out of a bong, but with retail marijuana there are many other ways to consume as well. Always ask a budtender for advice. They are knowledgeable and experienced in their products and give great suggestions!
Devices: Pipe, Bong, Joint. Pre-rolled joints are a great option for visitors as no smoking device needs to be purchased.
Effects: Kicks in within 5-10 minutes and lasts 1-2 hours.
Tips: Don't forget to buy a lighter or matches!
Edibles come in many different forms such as brownies (surprise), candies, and drinks.
Effect: Takes 30 minutes to 2 hours to kick in. The THC is taking a detour through your stomach, so it takes longer to get in your bloodstream. Be patient! Lasts from 4-6 hours depending on serving size and consumer's metabolism.
Tips: Start small with 10mg or less. Buy snacks before consuming so you don't feel tempted to consume too many edibles. In future sittings, test only slightly higher doses until you find the level you enjoy.
Vaporizers heat the plant or oil then release THC as vapor which is inhaled. Oil is easy to measure so the experience is reliable and consistent. The benefits of this method are minimal smoke and smell. The high is longer lasting than when smoking.
The THC level is high in wax. This product is not for new consumers as you can get high quickly and intensely.
How much to Purchase
Start with small quantities, especially if you are visiting from out of state or flying home, in which case you can't take leftovers with you. Many dispensaries only accept passports and US issued IDs, so if you are international be sure to bring your passport.
How much does it take to get high?
Smoking - typically 0.5 grams is enough for 1-2 people. Start with 1-2 draws if you're a first timer.
Vapor - 0.5 grams is enough for 3-4 people
Edibles - Most edibles come in larger portions, but take no more than 10mg for your first time. If you think you are sensitive, start with 5mg.
Getting too high is not a positive experience.
Where to consume
- Your home
- Private property - with the owner's permission
- Friend's homes - Aspen hotels are non-smoking - if you're visiting from out of town, make friends with locals.
Where Not to Consume
- It is against Colorado law to consume Cannabis in any public place.
- Use and possession remains a criminal act on federal lands - this includes much of the forested area surrounding Aspen. This includes the Maroon Bells and all of the Aspen Snowmass ski areas, so lighting up on the gondola or slopes is against federal law.
Often referred to as being stoned, the high is different for everyone depending on what you consume, and how you consume it. The stereotypes are true: an increased appetite, aka "the munchies," has you reaching for every bag of chips in the cupboard yet still wanting more. Dry mouth, also referred to as "cotton mouth," a feeling never quite satisfied no matter how much water you drink. Yes, your eyes will get red (eye drops help), and possibly even squint even when the sun is nowhere in site. Feelings of relaxation, resulting in couch potato behaviors are common, especially after consuming Indica. And a euphoric sensation may run through you. Be aware that motor skills become impaired so it is illegal to drive while high, resulting in a DUI if done so.
Getting too high is an uncomfortable situation. Results can be paranoia, increased heart rate, and anxiety. Plus, you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you start with small portions.
Get rid of it before you leave the state.
- Although marijuana is legal in Colorado, you can’t bring it across state lines, even if your home state also allows recreational sales.
- At the Aspen-Pitkin Co. Airport the sheriff’s office has set up two “amnesty boxes” where people can leave their marijuana (in all forms) before passing through security lines and boarding flights.
- Throw it in the garbage in a sealed container, out of reach of children & pets.
- Remember that friend you made so you had somewhere private to consume? They would likely enjoy your leftovers as a thank you gift.
- Be sure to keep any marijuana, especially edibles, in their original containers. You don't want the hotel's housekeeping to pass it off to their kids thinking it's left behind candy.
Aspen/Pitkin County Airport amnesty box located before the entrance of the security checkpoint
- You must be 21 or older to purchase AND consume.
- Do not drive while impaired.
- Consume in private places. Anywhere in public view is against Colorado law.
- Keep doses low until you know how you personally react to the THC.
- Leave the product in its original packaging, especially edibles - you don't want someone mistaking it for candy or cookies.
- Respect others around you who wish to avoid, even while in a private home.
- Don't mix with alcohol.
- Be careful if you take medication.
- The best way to consume is to be knowledgeable, responsible, and safe.