As the crisp autumn leaves start to fall and the air gets colder, there's a magical transformation happening in Aspen, Colorado as we wait the arrival of winter. While many travelers flock here during peak ski season, there's something uniquely special about visiting Aspen in the early winter months. Check out our list below for five reasons why you should plan your Aspen getaway during this enchanting time of year.
- Great riding all to yourself! Early winter in Aspen means fresh powder and small crowds. With Aspen and Snowmass Mountain slated to open November 23 and Highlands and Buttermilk Mountain opening December 9- you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the slopes before the holiday rush roles in. The ski slopes are beautifully blanketed in new snow, making it an ideal time for skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts.
- Quaint Holiday Atmosphere: Early winter in Aspen marks the beginning of the holiday season, and the town embraces it with open arms. Stroll through the charming streets adorned with twinkling lights and holiday decorations. The atmosphere is nothing short of magical, making it an ideal destination for a festive getaway.
- More Time to Enjoy new Terrain: Debuting this 2023–2024 winter season, the new Hero's terrain pod and high-speed quad will add 153 acres of cold-snow goodness to the upper, eastern aspects of Aspen Mountain. This will be the mountain’s first significant addition since the opening of the Silver Queen Gondola in December of 1985. Book your trip early and enjoy the new terrain before most people do!
- Winter Activities Beyond Skiing: While skiing is undoubtedly a highlight of any Aspen winter trip, the early season provides an opportunity to explore other winter activities. Go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing on the scenic trails around Aspen or try your hand at ice skating in one of the outdoor rinks. Explore all of our off-mountain adventures here.
- Skiing & Dining Deals: Early winter often means great deals on accommodations and dining. Many lodges, hotels, and restaurants offer special promotions to entice visitors during this period. As restaurants are gearing up for a winter season, it's an excellent time to experience Aspen's renowned culinary scene without breaking the bank with special shoulder season offerings happening around town. Plus, early season ski deals and packages make it an affordable option for winter sports enthusiasts.
Tag us on social @AspenCo in your early winter adventures for a chance to be featured on our website and social pages!