This week's guest blog comes from the Theatre Aspen staff.
Our friends at The Aspen Music Festival made up a list of great music to listen to while in self-quarantine. Not to be outdone, Theatre Aspen is putting forth its own list of the best movie musicals to while away your time at home.
No one will hear how loudly you sing along, so we encourage you to really go for it. Try the choreo while you’re at it too. Let the quarantine sweep you away on a soundscape of musical cinema.
10. Dreamgirls (2006) And I am telling you, I’m not going to go into the office until this is all over.
9. Mary Poppins (1964) Have that spoonful of sugar ready for when the FDA approves a drug to treat COVID-19.
7. A Chorus Line (1985) God, I hope I do not get it.
*For an even deeper cut, watch the documentary Every Little Step (2009) and get a peek into the casting process of the Broadway revival of A Chorus Line.
6. Mamma Mia (2008) Another day of quarantine… “Here I go again!"
5. Little Shop of Horrors (1986) All things considered; the threat of a flesh-eating plant seems very manageable now.
4. Les Miserables (2012) “On My Own” might just be the definitive musical theatre anthem for your self-quarantine.
3. Chicago (2002) Tip from Velma Kelly: Wash your hands for twenty seconds, even if you can’t remember how that blood got on them.
2. The Sound of Music (1965) Climbing ev’ry mountain is the ultimate form of social distancing.
1. Rock of Ages (2012) Quarantine got you feeling like a small town girl living in a lonely world? Well, don’t stop believing.
Are there any that we forgot? Tell us which movie musicals are in your queue and how they’re helping you get through your time at home. We hope to see you at the tent this summer when the binge watching is behind us.
Stay safe, be well, and sing out! - Theatre Aspen
Theatre Aspen returns for its 37th Season with the iconic Tony Award-winning musical CHICAGO, the 80’s pop-rock epic ROCK OF AGES, and the Neil Simon classic comedy, THE SUNSHINE BOYS plus additional programming all summer long. The 2020 Theatre Aspen main stage season, loaded with talent from Broadway, national tours, and training programs from across the country, runs June 23rd through August 22nd at the Hurst Theatre in Rio Grande Park. theatreaspen.org